It’s been a while since I’ve had much time to do any studies of faces, but I’ve been doing one a day each day this week, really working on my observational drawing abilities, focusing on getting the basics right before getting too carried away with different angles, lighting setups and the like. Here they are, from newest to oldest.
Today’s Huesday theme ended up being “Look”, and so for my image I thought I’d go with the idea of someone shouting “Look!”.
Quite pleased with how this turned out for a rough 1hr speedpaint - I managed to squeeze a bit of depth in there, a bit of action and tried to tell a bit of a story with my image. The colours are pretty generic for my palette, but they did the job in a rush. Once more, I found my little mannequin was a decent starting point for a pose - I have come to find my purchasing him quite an agreeable decision.
I recently bought myself an artist’s mannequin - a little (about 30cm tall) wooden man whose purpose is to help with posture, anatomy, ratios, foreshortening and the like, and so I decided that I’d try him out today after work for a speedpainting.
The random noun generator set the theme as “Lift”, and this idea came to mind. I posed my little man in the desirable fashion and found him really extremely useful, actually. This is far from ideal, proportion wise, but it’s certainly a lot easier using the little guy as a basis for where each limb should go.
Unusually for me, I painted in black and white first, then coloured afterwards on a new layer. I spent ~50 fairly relaxed minutes on this one.
I was recently introduced to a Twitter group called “Sketch Dailies” where a theme is given and people all around the world - hundreds and hundreds of them - draw a character based on it. It’s very inspiring to see, and after watching for a few days I finally decided to give it a try. Today’s was “mermaid” and this is what I ended up with.
So, our weekly speedpaint theme ended up being “Price” and this is what I spent my hour doing! I managed to sneak a face in there, not as prominent as I might have, but the skills I’ve been learning came in handy nevertheless. I quite like how this one turned out - it’s pretty simple, but it was good fun and I love playing with these colours.
Tomorrow is speedpainting day, and if I get a chance, I’ll try to sneak a face in. To make sure I am up to the challenge, I did a series of timed sketches, from 16, to 11, and finally 5 minutes (timed by playing a song of a certain length while I paint).
I haven’t tried colour with this method yet, but I’m at least confident I can get a rough face outlined reasonably well in a small enough portion of my allotted speedpainting time that it’s feasible to try doing one. Hurrah!
I aim to spend the same amount of time each day, rather than trying to do the same thing quicker, or spend a long time adding detail from the start, so I am slowly adding more detail and the like as I get quicker at doing the fundamental stuff.
Adding detail does, of course, mean that I mess up some of the fundamental things which I should now know, so it’s a fairly careful balancing act. Lots of working things and reworking them in order to get them right is necessary at this stage. Still, I’m gradually making progress, and making sure I don’t just practice with a closed mind each day, trying to build on my previous day’s efforts, but also view faces and paintings each day before I do my practice, to see what I’m missing, what I can add, etc.
My progress over the last few weeks has really been nice to experience, and I am committed to regular, considered practice in the hopes that I can continue making progress.
Was out for most of the day, but still managed to practice drawing face stuff. Though my proportions are far from perfect, and it’s too early to start adding detail with confidence, I thought I’d try adding some detailed rendering to this one just for interest.
As expected, it meant my proportions ended up all funky (because rendering detail plays with proportions, for various reasons) but it was still nice to play with detail for a change. I used far too many brushstrokes, as you can see if you look for them, which is partially because I didn’t use the brush I usually use, and partially because I was painting very lightly.
In any case, yay, faces. I still have a long, long way to go. I foresee lots of focused, specific practice will be necessary to hone my skills here.